Create an inclusive holiday party that everyone will enjoy! These virtual holiday party ideas for 2021 will get everyone having fun.
In 2021, there are plenty of ways to gather your team for an inclusive, festive activity.
It is a challenge to plan a virtual holiday team building session where everyone feels welcome and celebrated.
This list of 11+ virtual holiday party ideas in 2021 will get everyone in the holiday spirit.
In this list, you’ll find:
- inclusive virtual holiday party ideas 2021
- non-religious virtual holiday team building activities
- holiday happy hour ideas for virtual teams
- virtual holiday team building activities for remote teams
- secular holiday team building ideas
- best virtual holiday party ideas for 2021
1. Take a Virtual European Holiday Together! One of Our Favorite Corporate Virtual Holiday Party Ideas for 2021
Explore the festive holiday streets of Rome and Strasbourg from your computers!
This engaging virtual tour will take you on a virtual vacation. Join expert on-location guides live-streaming in Europe.
Plus, challenge your remote employees’ design skills! They will build a Colosseum using sugar cubes as a fun activity.
Teams will love testing out European knowledge with holiday trivia.
And, level up gift exchanges with delicious European-themed treat boxes.
Learn more and book your virtual European holiday experience here.
2. Host a Virtual Holiday Cookie Decorating Session
Gather the team on a video call to decorate holiday cookies. Each person can bake their own cookies at home. Or, purchase a kit online to make this activity hassle-free!
You can find holiday cookie kits to ship. Make sure to check with your team for any allergies or dietary needs.
Looking for an easy holiday cookie kit to ship to your team? If so, try the Winter Cookie Decorating Kit from Brookie’s Cookies NYC. Or, channel your inner Joanna Gaines with the Winter Cookie Kit from Magnolia.
3. Throw a Virtual Ugly Sweater Party. One of the Top Corporate Virtual Holiday Party Ideas in 2021!
Have you ever been to an ugly sweater office party? They’ve become trendy in recent years, with many retailers selling kitsch holiday clothing.
This year, your team can go the virtual parties route! Instead, make new holiday traditions.
This fun experience includes decorating ugly sweater cookies. Plus, your team will love making a paper ugly sweater with pom poms and stickers. Plus, try scavenger hunts and other virtual holiday party games.
Featured in the NY Times, this is a holiday event your team members will love.
Learn more and book a virtual ugly sweater party here.
4. Create a Non-Religious Holiday Playlist
Get into the holiday mood with your team by creating a secular winter playlist to enjoy together.
Believe it or not, there are plenty of non-religious holiday songs for your crew to enjoy together!
Make it extra special with small gift cards to a streaming station that everyone can enjoy. Here are a few of our favorites:
- I’ve Got My Love to Keep Me Warm by Dean Martin
- Frosty the Snowman by Fiona Apple
- Let it Snow by Tori Kelly and Babyface.
- Celebrate Me Home by Kenny Loggins
- Winter Song by Sara Bareilles and Ingrid Michaelson
- Aspenglow by John Denver
- Auld Lang Syne by Andrew Bird
- Winter Wonderland by Aretha Franklin
- What Are You Doing New Year’s Eve by Margaret Whiting
5. Participate in a Holiday Food Drive
If your team works remotely but lives near each other, consider teaming up for a holiday food drive. Your team can collect cans of food for families in need. Or, if your team is distributed, empower employees to spend a day volunteering with their local food bank.
At the end of the project, share the experience. A few thoughtful prompts for discussion include:
- How can our team continue to support our communities throughout the year?
- What surprised you most when joining in this activity?
- Did you learn anything new from this experience? If so, what?
To find volunteer options, search on VolunteerMatch. They’ve connected 16+ million volunteers with more than 134k nonprofits across the US.
6. Cook Up Some Holiday Spirit
If you haven’t tried a virtual cooking class yet, you’re missing out! Imagine pausing a cooking show and ask the chef all your questions.
And, your coworkers will hang out, laugh, and share cooking tips together in this virtual happy hour. This season, try an online holiday cooking class with your team!
These holiday-themed events can be extra-inclusive. For example, remember to be mindful of everyone’s dietary needs.
For example, many people don’t drink alcohol. Or, some members of your team may be vegan or gluten-free.
With this activity, you can choose a class that fits everyone’s needs. And, just because it’s the holidays, doesn’t mean you have to stick with traditional holiday foods!
Try making baguettes with a French baking instructor, regional African dishes, or Shanghai-style soup dumplings.
Browse all of Airbnb’s Online Experiences here. Choose from cooking and baking classes, wellness programs, and more.
7. Plan a Virtual Gratitude Session – One of Our Favorite Virtual Holiday Party Ideas for 2021
Many spend November reflecting on the things that bring us gratitude. We take stock of the good things in life and reflect back over the year.
And, pausing to reflect can help prepare for a busy holiday season ahead.
To share a deeper connection with your team, consider a virtual gratitude session. A few activities to include:
- Go around and ask each person to share something they are grateful for. This is a tried-and-true way to kick off a team meeting around the holidays.
- Include a meditation session for thoughtful reflection. Employees can learn to reduce stress and tap into their creativity.
- Craft a gratitude board with your team. Similar to a vision board, a gratitude board represents things your team appreciates. Your team can chat together on a video call while creating their gratitude boards.
- Snail mail holiday cards to teammates. Everyone will love seeing your families’ photos.
8. Show Off Your Holiday Decor
Slack is an amazing tool to get your team interacting with each other. Try simple virtual holiday party ideas like:
- create a Slack channel for everyone to share their holiday decor. It’s always fun to see each others’ Christmas trees.
- share everyone’s favorite holiday movies
- share everyone’s favorite Christmas parties’ memories
Another fun game is to have everyone share their favorite decor.
8. Spend a Day Decorating Together
One of the best parts about working remotely is the ability to share our homes with our co-workers. Work together to complete a craft project. Possible choices include:
- Decorate a miniature Christmas tree
- Make beautiful wreaths
- Build a holiday fairy home
- Design a fairy door
- Assemble a terrarium
Afterward, ask everyone to take a picture of completed projects. Lastly, assemble pictures in a corporate collage.
10. Plant For the Spring
Winter may not always have the nicest weather but, soon, it will be spring. Get your team in the spring mood by hosting a “seedling party.”
First, Send everyone on your team packets of seeds and disposable planters.
Second, encourage them to spread out newspapers and plant their little seedlings while on Zoom.
Third, play “planting” music or videos related to plants. One good choice is the Little Shop of Horrors.
Lastly, encourage your team to plant their seedlings in the spring.
11. Enhance Your Corporate Virtual Holiday Party
Add an extra festive dose of fun and belonging! These ideas and best practices pair well with all of the activities above.
- Choose an on-theme winter video call background! Stock photo sites offer plenty of options that anyone can download for free. For example, you could choose this snowy forest (pictured above).
- Make sure everyone can participate! If you’re hosting a virtual holiday team building session, don’t schedule on a holiday. Use this 2021 Interfaith Calendar to choose the best date.
- Start your session with some fun holiday icebreaker questions. Here are some example questions: what was your favorite holiday as a child? Which holiday foods do you look forward to all year? How would you choose to enjoy a snowy weekend day?
To discover even more virtual holiday party ideas in 2021, read: 12 Virtual Holiday Team Building Activities for 2021.