In this post, you’ll find more than 100 team building icebreaker questions to get to know your team and build feelings of connection!
This list of icebreaker questions ranges from traditional “getting to know you” questions to unique and offbeat conversation starters.
A few of our favorite team building icebreaker questions:
Read on for more than 100 icebreaker questions!
- Is there a mantra that you live by?
- What would your coworkers be surprised to learn about you?
- What’s something you admire about a teammate?
- Do you have a favorite family recipe?
- What does “diversity, equity, and inclusion” mean to you?
- Who’s your favorite Tiktokker?
- What’s your go-to karaoke song – and will you sing part of it for us?
In this guide, you’ll find:
- 100+ icebreaker questions on a variety of topics
- “Getting to know you” icebreaker activity questions
- Unexpected and fun icebreaker questions
- DEI icebreakers to dig deeper
- Ways to break the ice for new hires, onboarding, and virtual meetings
- Funny icebreaker questions
Why Ask Team Building Icebreaker Questions?
Icebreaker questions can help everyone get to know each other beyond their job titles and duties. With these questions, you’ll learn something new about your colleagues while getting the chance to share about yourself.
Asking icebreaker questions can be especially helpful for onboarding new hires, welcoming seasonal interns, or getting to know temporary workers on a more personal level.
Before you begin, you can remind everyone to keep their answers “safe for work” and reassure the group that all questions are optional! To ensure everyone’s comfort and inclusion, allow employees to “pass” on any question without pressing for an explanation.
100+ Icebreaker Questions to Ask Your Team
The questions below range from the typical “getting to know you” questions to unexpected, quirky queries!
“Getting to Know You” Icebreaker Questions
Start with the basics! These questions are great for team members who have never met before, or who haven’t interacted much beyond the occasional email or team meeting.
1. What’s your middle name?
2. Do you have any hidden talents? (Bonus points if you show us!)
3. What is something that your coworkers would be surprised to learn about you?
4. What’s your favorite color?
5. Describe yourself in 3 words.
6. Is there a mantra or affirmation that you live by?
7. What’s your favorite animal, and why?
8. Are you a night owl or an early bird?
9. Do you have a celebrity doppelgänger?
10. Where did you grow up?
Icebreaker Questions About Work & Career
Learn about your employees’ aspirations, strengths, and challenges with these icebreaker questions about work and career.
11. What’s your proudest work accomplishment?
12. Tell us about a mentor who has helped you in your career.
13. If you could magically attain one new job-related skill or area of expertise, what would you pick?
14. What’s your least favorite task at work?
15. Tell us about the first job you ever had.
16. What do you love most about your current role?
17. What’s a topic that you could give a 10-minute presentation on right now, with no preparation? (Bonus points if they can deliver part of the presentation on the spot!)
18. What’s the biggest goal you’re working toward right now?
19. When are you most productive?
20. What’s something you admire about one of your teammates?
21. Have you taken any personality tests, like Meyers-Briggs or Enneagram? What were your results?
Icebreakers: Personal Interests & Home Life
Get to know your team on a more personal level and encourage everyone to bring their whole, authentic selves to work.
22. Do you have any pets? (If so, ask if they feel comfortable sharing a photo!)
23. Which sports team(s) do you root for?
24. Do you have a favorite family recipe?
25. What’s your favorite book?
26. Which 3 musical artists do you listen to the most?
27. What’s your favorite concert you’ve ever attended?
28. What’s your favorite hobby outside of work?
29. Which 3 items would you bring with you to a deserted island?
30. How would you describe your home decor style?
31. If you had a day off with no responsibilities or commitments, how would you spend it?
32. Do you have a favorite outdoor spot in your area?
33. Do you play any sports or musical instruments?
34. Are you currently reading any books?
35. What’s your favorite board game?
36. What’s your favorite holiday?
WFH (Work from Home) Team Building Icebreaker Questions
Got a remote or hybrid crew? Help each other become your best WFH selves with these questions!
37. Do you prefer working at home, or in the office?
38. Are you team slippers, team socks, or team bare feet?
39. How often are you in PJ pants or sweatpants on video calls?
40. What’s your favorite WFH beverage or snack?
41. How do you separate your work and home life?
42. What’s your favorite part of working from home?
43. Do you listen to music/podcasts while you work, or do you need silence?
44. If you could magically teleport to work from anywhere in the world, where would you choose?
45. How do you create a comfortable environment at your WFH setup?
46. What do you wish more people understood about working from home?
Food & Travel Icebreakers
From adventurous eats to global travels – these questions will add some excitement to your next meeting!
47. What is your favorite food to cook?
48. If you could have dinner with any celebrity or historical figure, who would you choose – and what would you serve them?
49. What country have you always wished to visit?
50. Tell us about your favorite vacation or day trip.
51. What’s an attraction or museum that you think everyone should visit in their lifetime?
52. Who is the best cook you know?
53. If you could pick anyone on the team to serve as a tour guide for our city, who would it be?
54. Describe your perfect ice cream sundae – which flavors and toppings would you choose?
55. If you could choose a field trip destination for us to all visit together, what would you pick?
56. Is a hot dog a sandwich? Why or why not?
57. If you could only eat at one restaurant for the rest of your life, where would you choose?
DEI (Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion) Icebreaker Questions
Form deeper connections and learn more about diversity, equity, and inclusion with these team building icebreakers.
58. Share your favorite BIPOC-owned business.
59. What ideas do you have for our team to be more affirming and inclusive?
60. Can you recommend any DEI-focused books or podcasts that you’ve enjoyed?
61. What is an area of diversity, equity, and inclusion that you’d like to learn more about?
62. Are there any companies whose DEI initiatives you admire? Share why they inspire you.
63. What does “diversity, equity, and inclusion” mean to you?
64. In what ways does our diversity make us stronger as a team?
65. What’s your favorite inclusivity-minded social media account that you follow?
Pop Culture Team Building Icebreaker Questions
Does your team keep up with the latest celebrity and pop culture news? If so, these questions are for your crew!
66. Why does everyone love Dolly Parton so much?
67. What would you wear to a Harry Styles concert?
68. Who’s your favorite Stranger Things character?
69. If Lizzo wrote a song about you, what would she call it?
70. Who’s your favorite Tiktokker?
71. What public figure or celebrity do you think is under-appreciated, and why?
72. Are there any fashion trends you’re excited about?
73. Which past reality TV show do you want another season of?
74. Do you think Bennifer will last this time around?
75. How did Bad Bunny get his name?
Childhood Icebreaker Questions
Look back on how far you’ve come with these childhood icebreaker questions.
76. What was your dream job as a child?
77. What have you accomplished that would “wow” your childhood self?
78. Who was your childhood hero?
79. What advice would you give your 10-year-old self, if you had the chance?
80. What was your favorite game to play on the playground or in gym class, and why?
81. Would your middle school self think you’re cool now?
82. What would your childhood self imagine as the perfect weekend day?
83. What was your favorite elementary school lunch?
84. Did you have a favorite superhero or comic book character?
85. What were your favorite books to read as a child?
86. Share a favorite childhood memory with us.
87. Who was your favorite teacher in school, and what made them so special?
Offbeat & Unexpected Team Building Icebreaker Questions
Add some fun to your team building activities and meetings! These unique ice breaker questions are perfect for outside-the-box teams!
88. What would the title of your biography or biopic be?
89. What’s your favorite scent?
90. Tell us your favorite joke!
91. What is your funniest embarrassing moment?
92. What’s your guilty pleasure?
93. What’s your astrological sign, and how do you feel about it?
94. Which fictional character do you most relate to?
95. What’s your go-to karaoke song – and will you sing part of it for us right now?
96. Which stand-up comedian would you most want at your “roast?”
97. Who is your favorite Muppet?
98. What are your favorite emojis?
99. Would you ever go on a reality TV show – and if so, which one would you pick?
100. Are aliens real?
Looking for a unique team building experience? Browse virtual sessions with Unexpected Virtual Tours! From fun seasonal events to inspiring DEI workshops, there’s something for everyone.