In this post, you’ll find more than 100 team building icebreaker questions to get to know your team and build feelings of connection!
This list of icebreaker questions ranges from traditional “getting to know you” questions to unique and offbeat conversation starters.
You’re sure to learn more about your teammates and form new connections with these icebreaker questions as a guide!
A few of our favorite team building icebreaker questions:
Read on for more than 100 icebreaker questions!
- Is there a mantra that you live by?
- What would your coworkers be surprised to learn about you?
- What’s something you admire about a teammate?
- Do you have a favorite family recipe?
- What does “diversity, equity, and inclusion” mean to you?
- Who’s your favorite Tiktokker?
- What’s your go-to karaoke song – and will you sing part of it for us?
In this guide, you’ll find:
- 100+ icebreaker questions on a variety of topics
- “Getting to know you” icebreaker activity questions
- Unexpected and fun icebreaker questions
- DEI icebreakers to dig deeper
- Ways to break the ice for new hires, onboarding, and virtual meetings
- Funny icebreaker questions
Why Ask Team Building Icebreaker Questions?
Icebreaker questions can help everyone get to know each other beyond their job titles and duties. With these questions, you’ll learn something new about your colleagues while getting the chance to share about yourself.
Asking icebreaker questions can be especially helpful for onboarding new hires, welcoming seasonal interns, or getting to know temporary workers on a more personal level.
Plus, Icebreakers have been shown to provide benefits for team’s listening skills, communication skills, social bonding, and more!
Before you begin, you can remind everyone to keep their answers “safe for work” and reassure the group that all questions are optional! To ensure everyone’s comfort and inclusion, allow employees to “pass” on any question without pressing for an explanation.
100+ Icebreaker Questions to Ask Your Team
The questions below range from the typical “getting to know you” questions to unexpected, quirky queries!
“Getting to Know You” Icebreaker Questions
Start with the basics! These questions are great for team members who have never met before, or who haven’t interacted much beyond the occasional email or team meeting.
1. What’s your middle name?
2. Do you have any hidden talents? (Bonus points if you show us!)
3. What is something that your coworkers would be surprised to learn about you?
4. What’s your favorite color?
5. Describe yourself in 3 words.
6. Is there a mantra or affirmation that you live by?
7. What’s your favorite animal, and why?
8. Are you a night owl or an early bird?
9. Do you have a celebrity doppelgänger?
10. Where did you grow up?
11. If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
12. What’s something you are passionate about?
13. What’s something you are afraid of?
14. What is your favorite thing about yourself?
15. What’s your favorite thing to do on the weekends?
16. If you could switch lives with anyone for a day, who would it be and why?
17. If you could master any skill overnight, what would it be?
18. What’s something you are currently obsessed with?
19. What is the first concert you went to?
20. What is your favorite way to relax after a long day?
Icebreaker Questions About Work & Career
Learn about your employees’ aspirations, strengths, and challenges with these icebreaker questions about work and career.
21. What’s your proudest work accomplishment?
22. Tell us about a mentor who has helped you in your career.
23. If you could magically attain one new job-related skill or area of expertise, what would you pick?
24. What’s your least favorite task at work?
25. Tell us about the first job you ever had.
26. What do you love most about your current role?
27. What’s a topic that you could give a 10-minute presentation on right now, with no preparation? (Bonus points if they can deliver part of the presentation on the spot!)
28. What’s the biggest goal you’re working toward right now?
29. When are you most productive?
30. What’s something you admire about one of your teammates?
31. Have you taken any personality tests, like Meyers-Briggs or Enneagram? What were your results?
32. How would you describe your job to a young child?
33. What’s the best advice you have ever received?
34. What led you to your current position?
35. What is the most challenging project or assignment you have ever worked on?
36. What’s the most valuable lesson you have learned in your career so far?
37. If you could go back to the start of your career and give yourself one piece of advice, what would it be?
38. If you could have any job in the world, what would it be?
39. If you could switch jobs with anyone at the company for a day, who would it be and why?
40. What is the biggest misconception people have about your job or industry?
41. If you could magically change one thing about our company, what would it be?
Icebreakers: Personal Interests & Home Life
Get to know your team on a more personal level and encourage everyone to bring their whole, authentic selves to work.
42. Do you have any pets? (If so, ask if they feel comfortable sharing a photo or showing their pet on-camera!)
43. Which sports team(s) do you root for?
44. Do you have a favorite family recipe?
45. What’s your favorite book?
46. Which 3 musical artists do you listen to the most?
47. What’s your favorite concert you’ve ever attended?
48. What’s your favorite hobby outside of work?
49. Which 3 items would you bring with you to a deserted island?
50. How would you describe your home decor style?
51. If you had a day off with no responsibilities or commitments, how would you spend it?
52. Do you have a favorite outdoor spot in your area?
53. Do you play any sports or musical instruments?
54. Are you currently reading any books?
55. What’s your favorite board game?
56. What’s your favorite holiday?
57. Are you a beach or a mountain person?
58. What’s your favorite childhood song?
59. What’s something you’ve always wanted to learn but haven’t had the chance to yet?
60. What’s the best gift you’ve ever received?
61. So far in your life, what has been your favorite age?
62. What’s the most important lesson you’ve learned in your life so far?
63. What’s your favorite thing about where you live?
64. Tell us about your favorite family member.
65. Do you speak more than one language?
66. What is your least favorite chore to do around the house?
WFH (Work from Home) Team Building Icebreaker Questions
Got a remote or hybrid crew? Help each other become your best WFH selves with these work icebreaker questions!
67. Do you prefer working at home, or in the office?
68. Are you team slippers, team socks, or team bare feet?
69. How often are you in PJ pants or sweatpants on video calls?
70. What’s your favorite WFH beverage or snack?
71. How do you separate your work and home life?
72. What’s your favorite part of working from home?
73. Do you listen to music/podcasts while you work, or do you need silence?
74. If you could magically teleport to work from anywhere in the world, where would you choose?
75. How do you create a comfortable environment at your WFH setup?
76. What do you wish more people understood about working from home?
77. What is your favorite home office accessory?
78. Do you stop working to take your lunch break or work through it?
79. What’s your go-to productivity tip for working from home?
80. What’s your favorite virtual collaboration tool for remote work?
81. What’s the most interesting thing you’ve seen on a video conference call?
82. What is your biggest challenge when it comes to working from home?
83. What is your favorite way to stay connected with colleagues while working remotely?
84. What is your favorite thing to do when you sign off of work for the day?
85. What is one song that describes your WFH attitude?
86. Do you drink more cups of coffee when working from home, or in the office?
Food & Travel Icebreakers
From adventurous eats to global travels – these team building questions will add some excitement to your next meeting!
87. What is your favorite food to cook?
88. If you could have dinner with any celebrity or historical figure, who would you choose – and what would you serve them?
89. What country have you always wished to visit?
90. Tell us about your favorite vacation or day trip.
91. What’s an attraction or museum that you think everyone should visit in their lifetime?
92. Who is the best cook you know?
93. If you could pick anyone on the team to serve as a tour guide for our city, who would it be?
94. Describe your perfect ice cream sundae – which flavors and toppings would you choose?
95. If you could choose a field trip destination for us to all visit together, what would you pick?
96. Is a hot dog a sandwich? Why or why not?
97. If you could only eat at one restaurant for the rest of your life, where would you choose?
98. What’s the best meal you’ve ever had while traveling?
99. What is your favorite go-to spot in your hometown?
100. What is the most interesting food you’ve ever tried?
101. Do you prefer to travel by car, plane, train, or boat?
102. If you could attend a food festival for one type of cuisine, what would it be?
103. Do you prefer a relaxing vacation or a thrilling vacation?
104. Would you move to any destinations you have traveled to?
105. Do you prefer cold destinations or warm destinations?
106. Do you prefer eating-out or cooking at home?
107. Are you known for making a specialty dish?
DEI (Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion) Team Building Icebreaker Questions
Form deeper connections and learn more about diversity, equity, and inclusion with these DEI team building icebreakers.
108. Share your favorite BIPOC-owned business (Black, Indigenous, or Person of Color).
109. What ideas do you have for our team to be more affirming and inclusive?
110. Can you recommend any DEI-focused books or podcasts that you’ve enjoyed?
111. What is an area of diversity, equity, and inclusion that you’d like to learn more about?
112. Are there any companies whose DEI initiatives you admire? Share why they inspire you.
113. What does “diversity, equity, and inclusion” mean to you?
114. In what ways does our diversity make us stronger as a team?
115. What’s your favorite inclusivity-minded social media account that you follow?
116. What is the most important thing you’ve learned about DEI?
117. Share a few personal experiences that have shaped your perspective on DEI.
118. What is something you can do to be a better ally for marginalized groups?
119. What’s a stereotype you’ve held and how have you worked to overcome it?
120. What is your favorite type of DEI training?
121. What’s a way you can use your own background or identity to better understand someone else’s?
122. What are some small ways we can all be more inclusive in our daily lives?
123. Share about your family’s heritage, if you feel comfortable doing so.
124. What is one misconception you wish people better understood about a specific part of your identity?
125. Can you recommend any DEI leaders that you admire and follow?
Pop Culture Team Building Icebreaker Questions
Does your team keep up with the latest celebrity and pop culture news? If so, these group icebreaker questions are for your crew!
126. Why does everyone love Dolly Parton so much?
127. What would you wear to a Harry Styles concert?
128. Who’s your favorite Stranger Things character?
129. If Lizzo wrote a song about you, what would she call it?
130. Who’s your favorite Tiktokker?
131. What public figure or celebrity do you think is under-appreciated, and why?
132. Are there any fashion trends you’re excited about?
133. Which past reality TV show do you want another season of?
134. Do you think Bennifer will last this time around?
135. How did Bad Bunny get his name?
136. What is your favorite Taylor Swift era?
137. Who is your celebrity crush?
138. Are there any fashion trends that you hope don’t become popular again?
139. Are you a true crime fan?
140. What is your favorite streaming platform and why?
141. Team Edward or Team Jacob?
142. Who’s your favorite Kardashian?
143. Which sister are you in “The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants?”
144. Do you think “Love Is Blind?”
145. What is the craziest TLC show you’ve ever seen?
Childhood Icebreaker Questions
Look back on how far you’ve come with these childhood ice breaker questions.
146. What was your dream job as a child?
147. What have you accomplished that would “wow” your childhood self?
148. Who was your childhood hero?
149. What advice would you give your 10-year-old self, if you had the chance?
150. What was your favorite game to play on the playground or in gym class, and why?
151. Would your middle school self think you’re cool now?
152. What would your childhood self imagine as the perfect weekend day?
153. What was your favorite elementary school lunch?
154. Did you have a favorite superhero or comic book character?
155. What were your favorite books to read as a child?
156. Share a favorite childhood memory with us.
157. Who was your favorite teacher in school, and what made them so special?
158. Did you have a favorite childhood toy?
159. What band or singer were you obsessed with growing up?
160. Who was your favorite adult in your life as a child?
161. Did you grow up playing outside or playing video games?
162. What childhood snack would you buy at the grocery store today?
163. What subject in school did you hate the most as a child?
164. What thing makes you the most nostalgic about your childhood?
165. What advice would your childhood self give you today?
166. Share about your childhood best friend.
167. What was your favorite Disney movie as a child?
Offbeat & Unexpected Team Building Icebreaker Questions
Add some fun to your team building activities and meetings! These unique team building icebreakers are perfect for outside-the-box teams!
168. What would the title of your biography or biopic be?
169. What’s your favorite scent?
170. Tell us your favorite joke!
171. What is your funniest embarrassing moment?
172. What’s your guilty pleasure?
173. What’s your astrological sign, and how do you feel about it?
174. Which fictional character do you most relate to?
175. What’s your go-to karaoke song – and will you sing part of it for us right now?
176. Which stand-up comedian would you most want at your “roast?”
177. Who is your favorite Muppet?
178. What are your favorite emojis?
179. Would you ever go on a reality TV show – and if so, which one would you pick?
180. Are aliens real?
181. What’s the craziest thing you’ve ever done, and would you do it again?
182. If you could only keep five possessions, what would they be?
183. Do you believe in psychic powers?
184. What is your best scar story?
185. What is your favorite way to get in some exercise?
186. What is one article of clothing that someone could wear that would make you walk out on a date with them?
187. What did you name your first car?
188. Is Bigfoot real?
189. What is the worst haircut you’ve ever had? (Bonus points if you show us a picture!)
190. What sport would you compete in if you were representing your country in the world games?
Looking for a unique team building experience? Browse virtual sessions with Unexpected Virtual Tours! From fun seasonal events to inspiring DEI workshops, there’s something for everyone.