Inspire your team with these powerful International Women’s Day quotes for 2023!
In this list, you’ll find quotes from female leaders, authors, musicians, activists, scientists, athletes, and more. You can use these quotes to celebrate International Women’s Day on March 8 – and celebrate female innovation and ingenuity all year long.
Empowering and uplifting women year-round is an important part of building a strong company culture. In fact, the “Women in the Workplace” report from McKinsey and LeanIn.org found that “women – and especially women of color – are still dramatically underrepresented in corporate America.” Moreover, the study points to employee well-being and DEI initiatives as “work that dramatically improves retention and employee satisfaction.”
Learn about the social, economic, and cultural achievements of women with these thought provoking and encouraging quotes, ideas and resources, and more. Your efforts can remind women – and workers of all genders – of the power and potential they all share.
Powerful International Women’s Day Quotes for 2023 – This Guide Includes:
- Powerful quotes celebrating gender equality
- Best International Women’s Day quotes for 2023
- Quotes about incredible economic, cultural, and political achievements of women
- Our favorite ideas to celebrate Women’s History Month in 2023 – with nearly two dozen activities!
- FAQs – including “What is International Women’s Day?” and “When is International Women’s Day?”
In this list, you’ll find:
- Quotes about gender equality, female cultural and political achievements, and more
- Quotes from female authors, activists, and politicians
- Empowering International Women’s Day quotes celebrating women
- Quotes by influential women such as Malala Yousafzai, Michelle Obama, Alice Walker, and more
- Quotes about International Women’s Day and the importance of honoring female history
- Inspirational “Happy Women’s Day” quotes to celebrate with your team
Empowering International Women’s Day Quotes
1. “There’s something so special about a woman who dominates in a man’s world. It takes a certain grace, strength, intelligence, fearlessness and the nerve to never take no for an answer.”
2. “I am a woman and I get to define what that means.”
– Swati Sharma
3. “A strong woman understands that the gifts such as logic, decisiveness, and strength are just as feminine as intuition and emotional connection. She values and uses all of her gifts.”
– Nancy Rathburn
4. “I’ve been absolutely terrified every moment of my life—and I’ve never let it keep me from doing a single thing I wanted to do.”
– Georgia O’Keeffe
5. “Don’t think about making women fit the world — think about making the world fit women.”
– Gloria Steinem
Women in Leadership Quotes for International Women’s Day
6. “The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
– Alice Walker
7. “Women belong in all places where decisions are being made. It shouldn’t be that women are the exception.”
– Ruth Bader Ginsburg
8. “I encourage women to step up. Don’t wait for somebody to ask you.”
– Reese Witherspoon, Actor
9. “I’ve never been interested in being invisible and erased.”
– Laverne Cox
10. “When the world tells you to shrink, expand.”
– Elaine Welteroth
11. “The success of every woman should be the inspiration to another. We should raise each other up. Make sure you’re very courageous: be strong, be extremely kind, and above all be humble.”
– Serena Williams
Quotes About International Women’s Day
12. “Today, we are celebrating the strength, determination, and resilience of women everywhere.”
– Michelle Obama
13. “…this International Women’s Day, allow me to share what I’ve learned. You don’t need to be ‘one of the guys.’ You are strong, brave, and destined to lead. Own it.”
– Tammy Duckworth
14. “Women should be celebrated every day…It doesn’t just honor the iconic women who have changed history, but encourages new generations to dream big and know that anything is possible.”
– Molly McCook
Women’s Rights Quotes for International Women’s Day
15. “No country can ever truly flourish if it stifles the potential of its women and deprives itself of the contributions of half of its citizens.”
– Michelle Obama
16. “Women make up more than half of the world’s population and potential, so it is neither just nor practical for their voices, for our voices, to go unheard at the highest levels of decision-making.”
– Meghan Markle
17. “Organize, agitate, educate, must be our war cry.”
– Susan B. Anthony
18. “You never completely have your rights, one person, until you all have your rights.”
– Marsha P. Johnson
19. “Feminism isn’t about making women stronger. Women are already strong. It’s about changing the way the world perceives that strength.”
– G.D. Anderson
20. “To all the little girls who are watching this, never doubt that you are valuable and powerful, and deserving of every chance and opportunity in the world to pursue and achieve your own dreams.”
– Hillary Clinton
21. “If they don’t give you a seat at the table, bring a folding chair.”
– Shirley Chisholm
Inspiring Quotes for International Women’s Day
22. “It’s okay if you fall down and lose your spark. Just make sure that when you get back up, you rise as the whole damn fire.”
– Colette Werden
23. “The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who’s going to stop me.”
– Ayn Rand
24. “Do not live someone else’s life and someone else’s idea of what womanhood is. Womanhood is you.”
– Viola Davis
25. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.”
– Eleanor Roosevelt
26. “A woman in harmony with her spirit is like a river flowing. She goes where she will without pretense and arrives at her destination prepared to be herself and herself only.”
– Maya Angelou
27. “I want every girl to know that her voice can change the world.”
– Malala Yousafzai
Funny Women’s Day Quotes
28. “I do not believe in using women in combat, because females are too fierce.”
– Margaret Mead
29. “I’m pretty good at weaseling my way into a job, even if I have no business being there.”
– Aubrey Plaza
30. “I am a feminist. I’ve been a female for a long time now. It’d be stupid not to be on my own side.”
– Maya Angelou
31. “Be free, be fierce, but most of all, have fun while being a feminist.”
– Nimco Ali
32. A woman is like a tea bag – you can’t tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.”
– Eleanor Roosevelt
Celebrate International Women’s Day with Unexpected Virtual Tours
Act now – this session is available for a limited time only during March 2023!
With the quotes above, you can get your corporate team excited about celebrating International Women’s Day on May 8 and Women’s History Month during March.
To deepen your experience, book a special interactive team building session with Unexpected Virtual Tours: “She Innovates!”
During this fun and educational virtual session, hear incredible stories of female inventors, artists, and leaders spanning from the 1800s to the present. Live character guides based in the 1800s and 1900s will lead the experience and answer questions from your team. These expert guides are similar to characters you would encounter in Colonial Williamsburg. (We promise, this session won’t be cheesy or eye-roll inducing!)
Be amazed by similarities and differences faced by female inventors over the past three centuries. Additionally, your team will learn about the ingenuity and perseverance of female innovators. For instance, hear about the inventor of Kevlar, the paper bag folding machine, and much more.
This engaging virtual event is NOT a lecture, but an immersive and interactive session showcasing the triumph of female invention.
Learn more and book your “She Innovates” session for International Women’s Day and Women’s History Month!
International Women’s Day FAQs
What is International Women’s Day?
International Women’s Day is a global holiday celebrated annually on March 8. Across the world, women and people from all backgrounds celebrate this day to bring attention to the women’s rights movement.Learn more about International Women’s Day here.
When is International Women’s Day?
International Women’s Day 2023 will take place on Wednesday, March 8, 2023.
Why is International Women’s Day celebrated?
International Women’s Day recognizes issues such as gender equality, reproductive rights, social mobility, and violence against women. Taking place during Women’s History Month, the day is a perfect time to demonstrate your support for women’s rights and reflect upon the steps of equality still needed for women in the world today.
What is the significance of the quotes included in this article?
The quotes in this article come from women of many diverse backgrounds and walks of life. We can learn from listening to women of all ages, races, sexual orientations, abilities, religions, and more.
What unites the women who are quoted in this post is their belief in the power of women to build their own best lives and futures, regardless of the challenges they may face.
How can these quotes inspire and empower?
Amplifying female voices is a powerful way to learn with your team, hear from marginalized communities, celebrate female empowerment, and be inspired. Share the quotes in this post with your team as part of a meaningful International Women’s Day message, celebratory activities, and team building sessions.
How can these quotes be used and shared to promote gender equality?
These quotes for International Women’s Day 2023 can be shared in a variety of ways. For instance, you can share these quotes in your company’s internal or external newsletters, on social media as International Women’s Day captions, and as part of company-wide updates.
You can also get creative and design graphics with these quotes to share in your company’s communications!
Looking for more ways to celebrate International Women’s Day? If so, check out our updated guide: Celebrate Women’s History Month at work with unique ideas and activities.
Plus, check out these Women’s History Month Quotes for more inspiration and ideas! Explore stories of history and the present through the eyes of women from across the globe.