Create a more inclusive workplace and celebrate DEI holidays with this diversity team building calendar!
Consider this your monthly guide to diversity, equity, and inclusivity holidays and milestones at work throughout the year.
Use this DEI team building calendar to plan meaningful activities for your team in 2023. For a unique virtual experience, book a guided experience with Unexpected Virtual Tours! Our virtual team building experiences are hosted by live guides who will keep your team engaged and learning together. Topics include Black History Month, Women’s History Month, Juneteenth, Pride Month, Hispanic Heritage Month, and more.
In this post, you’ll find:
- A month-by-month diversity calendar of DEI holidays in the United States
- Diversity holidays to honor and celebrate with your team members
- Why celebrate DEI holidays?
- Ideas to celebrate diversity related holidays respectfully with your team
- Unique ways to learn about and celebrate the occasions listed in this diversity holiday calendar
- Plus: a link to sign up for our e-news and get a detailed DEI holiday calendar with remote team building activities, resources, and prompts!
Why celebrate DEI holidays?
There are many reasons to celebrate and honor DEI holidays. First, taking time to commemorate these occasions can help create an affirming, welcoming, and inclusive environment for employees of all backgrounds.
Additionally, honoring DEI holidays is a chance to learn and bond with your team. Depending on the activities you choose, you can boost morale and trust, enhance company culture, and empower employees to bring their authentic selves to work. You’ll also expand your team’s knowledge, which can lead to enhanced cultural competencies and emotional intelligence.
As a result, you may see an increase in employee engagement and smoother communication between your teams. Encouraging a diverse and inclusive workplace is also a great way to boost retention and help with recruiting new team members. In fact, some studies have shown that DEI efforts and social responsibility are key when it comes to employee satisfaction.
How can I make sure our team celebrates diversity related holidays respectfully?
There are a variety of ways to celebrate and honor DEI holidays respectfully. Learn more, build connections, start a meaningful dialogue, and have fun with your team when appropriate.
Remember, some holidays are celebratory, while others are somber and should be treated with reverence. Be sure to select activities that are appropriate for the occasion your team is honoring. When in doubt, it’s a good idea to include your HR department or even an external consultant who can help guide your plans.
What are some ideas to honor DEI holidays at work?
- Watch a documentary together.
- Start a book club to dig deeper into a topic. Make it easier with audiobooks, or even a podcast club!
- Plan a team volunteer day to support a cause related to the holiday.
- Cook or bake a dish together while learning about another culture.
- Examine equity practices at your own company and discuss ways to be more inclusive.
- Host a Lunch & Learn and hire an expert guest speaker or facilitator.
- Book a memorable virtual experience with Unexpected Virtual Tours.
- National Poverty Awareness in America Month
- January 4, 2023: National Braille Day
- January 16, 2023: Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- January 22, 2023: Chinese New Year (Year of the Rabbit)
- January 27, 2023: International Holocaust Remembrance Day
- Black History Month
- February 4, 2023: Rosa Parks Day
- February 11, 2023: International Day of Women & Girls in Science
- February 20, 2023: World Day of Social Justice
- Women’s History Month
- Developmental Disabilities Awareness Month
- March 8, 2023: International Women’s Day
- March 15, 2023: Equal Pay Day
- March 25, 2023: International Day of the Remembrance of the Victims of Slavery and the Transatlantic Slave Trade
- March 31, 2023: International Transgender Day of Visibility
- Celebrate Diversity Month
- Arab American Heritage Month
- Autism Awareness & Acceptance Month
- National Volunteer Month
- April 14, 2023: National Day of Silence (LGBTQIA+)
- Asian American Heritage Month
- Jewish American Heritage Month
- Haitian Heritage Month
- Mental Health Month
- May 5, 2023: Cinco de Mayo
- May 17, 2023: International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia
- May 21, 2023: World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue & Development
- LGBTQIA+ Pride Month
- National Caribbean American Heritage Month
- June 12, 2023: Loving Day
- June 19, 2023: Juneteenth
- June 20, 2023: World Refugee Day
- French American Heritage Month
- July 11, 2023: World Population Day
- July 18, 2023: International Nelson Mandela Day
- July 26, 2023: National Disability Independence Day
- July 30, 2023: International Day of Friendship
- August 7, 2023: Purple Heart Day
- August 9, 2023: International Day of the World’s Indigenous People
- August 19, 2023: World Humanitarian Day
- August 21, 2023: Senior Citizens Day
- August 26, 2023: Women’s Equality Day
- Sept. 15 – Oct. 15: Hispanic Heritage Month
- National Guide Dog Month
- Suicide Prevention Month
- September 4, 2023: Labor Day
- September 16, 2023: Mexican Independence Day
- September 22, 2023: National Native American Day
- September 26, 2023: European Day of Languages
- LGBTQIA+ History Month
- Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- Filipino American Heritage Month
- German American Heritage Month
- Italian American Heritage Month
- Polish American Heritage Month
- October 9, 2023: Indigenous People’s Day
- October 10, 2023: World Mental Health Day
- October 11, 2023: National Coming Out Day
- October 22, 2023: International Stuttering Awareness Day
- October 31, 2023: Día de Muertos (Day of the Dead)
- Movember (awareness of men’s health issues)
- National Native American, American Indian, & Alaskan Native Heritage Month
- November 11, 2023: Veteran’s Day
- November 20, 2023: Transgender Day of Remembrance
- HIV/AIDS Awareness Month
- December 3, 2023: International Day for People with Disabilities
- December 5, 2023: International Volunteer Day
- December 10, 2023: International Human Rights Day
Book an unforgettable DEI experience for your team with Unexpected Virtual Tours!
Unexpected Virtual Tours’ sessions include:
Black History Month
Honor Black History Month by learning about the roots of Black history itself. In the early 1900s, white historians said African Americans “had no history.” Dr. Carter Woodson proved them wrong. This experience shares his incredible story.
Additionally, your team will see live-streamed visits to important historic Black neighborhoods, learn about the Civil Rights movement, and celebrate African American history.
Women’s History Month
Available for a limited time during Women’s History Month in March! The “She Innovates” virtual experience shares the story of female inventors and innovators from the 1800s and 1900s.
Interact with character actors, take a virtual field trip, play fun games, and immerse yourself in the triumph of female ingenuity.
AAPI Heritage Month
Honor Asian American and Pacific Islander history during the month of May with a meaningful virtual experience. This session – brand new for 2023 – shares the history of Asian Americans from the 1800s to the present day, including leaders like Fred Korematsu and Bhagat Singh Thind.
Take a virtual field trip to San Francisco’s Chinatown, learn how Asian Americans have impacted every aspect of American life, and connect with your team.
In June, honor Juneteenth with Unexpected Virtual Tours during this educational virtual session. Featured by “Lonely Planet” as one of the best ways to honor Juneteenth!
Learn the history of this important holiday, often referred to as “Emancipation Day.” Optional add-on treat boxes include products from 100% Black-owned small businesses!
Also in June, celebrate LGBTQIA+ Pride Month with our virtual Pride experience. Hear the story of America’s first gay marriage in 1807 as well as learning about the bravery of a transgender Civil War soldier. Your team will also get a look at America’s first gay neighborhood of Greenwich Village in New York City. Then, see important sites related to Harvey Milk in San Francisco.
Additionally, take a live-streamed virtual field trip to the Stonewall National Monument. Finally, as an optional add-on, your team can enjoy treat boxes featuring products from LGBTQ+ owned businesses and allies.
Hispanic Heritage Month
Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month from September 15 – October 15 with Unexpected Virtual Tours. Our Hispanic/Latinx Heritage Month event shares the stories of Hispanic entrepreneurs, creators, and musicians.
This celebratory event will engage your team as they trace the impact of Hispanic and Latinx history from the 1500s to the present day.
Unexpected Virtual Tours offers a wide variety of programming. Explore all of our virtual team building experiences here. Additionally, view video previews of our programs and other resources on our YouTube channel.
Each event includes live, knowledgeable tour guides who can tailor the experience to your company’s needs and goals! Additionally, treat boxes shipped to each participant make for a unique, tangible keepsake that can help create a sense of belonging and a shared experience.
Download a free 2023 DEI Team Building Calendar of activities & prompts!
Subscribe to our e-newsletter and you’ll receive a 2023 diversity holiday calendar – filled with team building activities & prompts for each occasion!
To explore activities and ideas beyond this DEI calendar, explore our DEI team building blog posts. These posts are filled with interactive lessons, games, resources, and more.